Some Beautiful Places to Visit in the Vadodara City.
It was built by Shri Maharaja SayajiRao III. The first stone was laid by P.S. Melvill Esquire, C.S.I. Agent to the Governor General at Baroda, on the 12th Jan-1880 and and completed in 1890. It was built in the Indo-saracenic tradition, with an eclentic mix of of Indian, Islamic, and European Elements. It’s a residence of the royal family. Its, ornate Darbar Hall has an Italian mosaic floor and walls with mosaic decorations. The Palace houses a remarkable collection of old armoury and sculptures in bronze, marble and terracotta.
Location: On Rajmahel Road.
Visiting Hours : 9.30 am to 5.00 pm, (Lunch time 1 pm to 1.30pm, Don’t go during Lunch time)
Entry fee: Rs. 150/- (per person) Free entry for the kids below 10 yrs.
Closed on : Monday
Note: Photography allowed from the outside of Palace.
Guide : They provide Mp3 Players with headphone to guide you during your visit. There is a guide facility is also available for big groups.
Earlier it was known as Chandan Talao
Sursagar Lake is located in the city area of Vadodara. Its one of the largest man made lakes of Vadodara which is circular in shape and covers a circumference of one and a half mile.
The lake is 60m deep which was built in the nineteenth century.
Its surrounded by Nyaymandir and Lalcourt, and famous shopping market, Mangal Bazzar. A beautiful shivji Idol is placed in the center of the lake. During festivals and in night time the idol and lake is lightened up with beautiful lights and it’s a very pleasant view for visitors.
This is palatial building erected by Sayaji Rao III in 1906-1907 at a cost of about Rs. 5 Lakhs. It was presented by him as a gift to the Municipality on the occasion of the Silver Jubilee Celebrations of his administration. The Municipal offices are located in this building. The Main entrance resembles in architecture with that of the gate of Dabhoi fort. Along with Municipal office its, now Vegetable market also.
Kirti Mandir was built to commemorate the cremation of the members of the Gaekwad family. This “E” shaped large magnificent stone building with domes, terraces, balconies and central sikhara rising to about 33 meters. According to Sayaji Rao Gaekwad it was built to commemorate the benefactors of his state irrespective of their race, caste or creed. The construction cost is Rs. 50000/- and it preserves in its various rooms the statues and photographs of the members of the royal family. The Interior of this elegant structure is marble finished and on the wall of the central hall are the murals Gangavataran, battle of Mahabharata, Life of Meera and Natir Pooja-executed by the famous Bengali artist Nandalal Bose. It can be visited by everybody between 9 am to 12 pm and 2.30 pm to 5.30 pm.
This Imposing structure was built during the Mughal period and was restored in 1736 A.D. by the Governor Malharao Maloji under the orders of Damaji Rao II (1732 -1768 A.D.)
Sayaji Baug, is situated on river vishwamitri and was built by Sayaji Rao III in 1879. Sprawling over 113 acres, it also includes an excellent Zoo, the Baroda Museum and Picture Gallary, Sardar Patel Planetarium. A major attraction for children is the 3.5 kms joy ride through the park on the Toy Train. The Picture beside is the famous Bandstand in the Sayaji Baug.
It is situated 47 kms from Vadodara. The town of Champaner was subjugated by Sultan Mehmud Begada in 1484 and made it his new capital. Champaner lies at the foot of Pavagarh fort. The ruins of its mosques and palaces reflected in the lake are some of the most picturesque sight in India. Citadel of Mehmud Begada’s is a perfect rectangle about three quarters of a mile long and 280 yards broad, the citadel is enclosed by a wall of massive blocks of freestone, known as Mahmud Begada’s wall. It is strengthened by bastions at regular intervals and beautified by small carved balconies in the best Islamic style. Jama Masjid, on account of its massive grandeur and perfect finish, the Jama Masjid is one of the grandest Islamic monuments in Western India. Nagina Masjid is also called the Jewel Mosque as it is built of pure white stone.
It’s situated in the cantonment near Fatehgunj is the beautiful Shiva Temple, managed and maintained by the “Jawans” of E.M.E., this temple is made of Aluminum and some alloys. Unlike all other temples, this beautiful Shiva temple is made of aluminum and it is a place of religious harmony. A cultural center has also been developed by the E.M.E. around the temple here good sculptures of Gujarat, pavilion etc are nicely preserved. Idols of Gods and Goddesses are beautifully placed on both the side walkways and they look very attractive when illuminated at night everyday. Visit to this temple is a must for everyone who visits Vadodara.
Its located near Motibaug Cricket Ground in the Rajmahel so, when you visit the Rajmahel, do visit the Museum. It has the Royal Collection of arts and treasures with some great paintings of Shri Raja Ravi Verma.
Location: Beside Motibaug Cricket Ground, Near Baroda Cricket Association office.
Visiting Hours: 10.30 am to 05.30 pm
Adult Rs. 30/- , Child Rs. 20/- (12 Yrs above) Overseas Visitors: Rs. 100/-
Collective Tickets for School Group of 20 students Rs. 200/-
Closed on : Monday Note: Photography Not Allowed
Baroda museum is considered to be one of the most famous museums of the country. The foundation stone of museum was laid in the year 1887 and the work completed in 1894. The Egyptian mummy and skeleton of a blue whale are major attractions for those who visit the museum. It has various room inside, like European room, Japanese Gallery, Chinese Gallery, Baroda room, etc.
The Picture gallery’s construction building started in 1908 and was completed in 1914 but the gallery could be opened only in 1921 as the world war delayed the transport of the collections of European paintings to Baroda-India.
Location: In Sayaji Baugh or Kamati Baugh
Visiting Hours: 10.30 am to 5.30 Pm (No Entry after 5.00 pm)
Rs. 10/- (Above 4yrs of Age), Rs. 200/- for Foreigners
Rs. 5/- for Per Student for school orgainzed groups.
Closed on : Important Public Holidays only
Note: Photography allowed on Camera fees Rs. 100/-
It is located Near Raopura Area and it’s a 4 storey haveli was the residence of Diwan of Vadodara. This is famous for his wall paintings from the 19th century Maratha tradition depicting scenes from the Mahabharata, lord Krishna’s life and the Anglo-Maratha war.
Laheripura gate is located near Nyaymandir and it’s a gateway of old city. It was built in 1558 and now a days this area is busy market place.
Nyaymandir is a Temple of Justice. It’s a court house in Vadodara situated near Sursagar Lake. During festivals it’s all lightened up and its looks beautiful.
The Sayaji Sarovar or Ajwa Lake, 22 kms away from the city is the principal source of water. It is formed by damming the Surya river and vaghali nala. Work on the scheme was started in 1885 and was completed in 1890. The Gardens at Ajwa are patterned after the famous Brindavan Gardens of Mysore. The illumination of fountains is a major attraction for tourist
Built in old classical style, the palace was used on ceremonial occasions by the Gaekwad. The royal family heirlooms are on display.
Situated Near Mandvi in City area.
Bulid around 1586, the tomb of Qutbuddin is the one of the oldest Moughal monuments of the city. Qutbuddin is the Army General of the great king Akbar.
Situated at: On Pratapnagar road, Just after the overbridge of Pratapnagar.
Maharshi Aurobindo Ghosh, who one of the eminent freedom fighters and also a renouned philosopher resided in Vadodara from 1894 to 1906 as a private secretary to Maharaja Sayaji Rao Gaekwad. He also worked as vice principle and professor of English in Baroda college. His residence popularly known as Aurobindo Society is situated in Dandiya Bazaar area is the only national memorial.
Yoga and meditation are taught here regularly. Surrounded by a nicely manicured garden this magnificent building provides an opportunity to pass a few minutes in solace. Various useful articles prepared at Pondichery are sold in all emporiums on the ground floor. A nicely, displayed small museum on the life of Shri Aurobindo’s contribution can also be visited here.
Picture Courtsey : Ani Shaikh
The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, originally know as Baroda college of science established in 1881, it became a university in 1949 after the independence of the country and later renamed after the benefactor Shri Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III, the former ruler of Baroda. It is the only university in Gujarat whose medium of instruciton is English for all courses.
The Picture is of ARTS Buliding of the MSU.
More place will be added soon...